- In February, Google said it had a “multibillion-dollar” hardware business.
- But hardware is hard, and in many ways Google is only just getting started. It’s also going up against some established players such as Apple.
- 2021 could be a big year for Google’s consumer hardware efforts as we’re promised some of its “deeper investments” will play out.
- Here are 12 power players driving Google’s hardware vision right now.
- Think we’ve missed someone important? Contact this reporter and let them know.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
This year has marked both ups and downs for Google’s hardware division. Some big names have departed, while the company has tried to launch brand new smartphones in a challenging market.
But next year could be even more significant: On the company’s Q3 2020 earnings call, CEO Sundar Pichai promised we will see some of the Google’s “deeper investments” in hardware play out next year.
Hardware is hard, but Google knows it needs to play in this space if it wants to keep directing people back to its core moneymaking products such as search. CEO Sundar Pichai has also said Google has a vision for ambient computing, which will rely on devices such as smart speakers.
Here are 12 power players driving Google’s consumer hardware ambitions right now, from smartphones to smart locks. Think we’ve missed someone important? Contact this reporter at [email protected] and let them know.