The first month of the new year was pretty jam packed with nerdy news, even The White House wasn’t immune. Let’s take a look back at the month.
- Production of Sherlock Season 3 is underway. Pictures of the construction of set tweeted by Arwel Wyn Jones the Production Designer for Sherlock have given fans new hope and also, somehow, hours of deduction and deepening insanity.
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is fast approaching (March 31st). Promo photos have been released showing new characters (BLACKFISH!), and a teaser trailer revealing absolutely nothing has also been released.
- The Doctor Who 50th anniversary has been the subject of much speculation. Here’s what we actually know.
- Supernatural airs LARP and the Real Girl; LotR references, leather pants and ponytails abound.
- J.J. Abrams is, officially, directing the next Star Wars movie. Fans rally for a brief moment before continuing to bemoan the state of their beloved franchise, though perhaps less loudly than before. Star Trek fans only request that Abrams take time off from Star Wars to direct the third Star Trek movie…or else.
- Google revealed an aerial view of the arena set from Catching Fire. Currently they’re shooting scenes for the beginning of the film elsewhere.
- Paul Giamatti is currently in negotiations to play Rhino in The Amazing Spider Man 2.
- Matt Stone and Trey Parker are opening their own production company, the rumored first project is a movie adaptation of their Tony winning broadway show Book of Mormon.
- Jurassic Park 4 is happening, in 3D obviously.
- Tumblr debuts new posting interface in an effort to make blogging more streamlined and “more like twitter”. This has universally been hailed as a bad choice and has made a lot of people mad.
- Jeremy Renner reads fanfiction about himself, joins circles of famous people who have learned the ways of AO3.
- The White House responds to the Death Star petition because they had to, and the response is perfect.
- Carrie Fisher wrote a letter to Princess Leia, and it’s also perfect.
Let’s hope February will be as exciting! If you think I left any note-worthy news out, leave a link in the comments below.
(Also, on a side note, Happy Birthday Mom!)